Jump starting 2020 at full speed!
Just a month before the start of SailGP Season 2, the Denmark SailGP Team, presented by ROCKWOOL, announced its world-class crew for the 2020 season.
Nicolai Sehested – at 30 years old, the youngest helmsman in the whole of the SailGP fleet– selected his six-strong crew following an intense two-week training and selection camp in New Zealand, where the group enjoyed its first taste of the world’s fastest sailboat.
The Danish dream team consists of five Danes and one Australian:
- Nicolai Sehested, 30, of Copenhagen (helm)
- Tom Johnson, 28, of Mandurah, Western Australia (wing trimmer)
- Rasmus Køstner, 41, of Middelfart (flight controller)
- Martin Kirketerp, 37, of Aarhus (grinder)
- Hans-Christian Rosendahl, 23, of Copenhagen (grinder)
- and Lars-Peter Rosendahl, 23, of Copenhagen (grinder).
As well as containing SailGP’s youngest skipper, the Danish boat also carries the first siblings ever to compete together at the racing series, with twin brothers Lars-Peter and Hans-Christian Rosendahl making the cut to join the team.
The team, flying the Danish flag in SailGP for the first time ever, faces a significant challenge as a late newcomer entry with very limited time to train before the first race. Despite this, the team is getting up to speed quickly, hitting 48.7 knots (90 kilometers per hour) within the first hour of sailing in New Zealand, close to the top speed for the F50 catamaran.